Welcome to our website
Stenness Community School is set in the small community of Stenness on the West Mainland of Orkney.
Situated close to the World Heritage Sites of The Standing Stones of Stenness and the Ring of Brodgar.
The school is in the heart of this small community. We aim to provide a happy, caring environment where children are valued as individuals. Children are treated as equals regardless of gender, ability, culture, belief or ethnic background.
The original Stenness School was situated at Stymilders on the border of the parishes of Firth and Stenness. The school was shared by both parishes.
Subsequently a parish school known as the Madras School was built at Savedale.
The next school was built in 1892 on an acre of land provided by the Balfour Estate.
We moved into the present building in April 1994. The school is semi-open plan in design with the classrooms arranged around a common open area. The Nursery adjoins the P1-4 class but can be closed off from the rest of the school by a dividing door.
As we are a Community School we share the facilities with other community users. During the school day the school has priority use of the hall and can also use the community room if it is available.
Our well designed school has every facility necessary to deliver a modern, stimulating education.
The school day for pupils
Break 11.15 - 11.30
Lunch 12.50 - 1.40